Rules & Regulations
This online investor personality quiz and essay submission (the “Contest”) is presented by Brandes Investment Partners & Co., cob as Bridgehouse Asset Managers (the “Sponsor”).
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER THE CONTEST OR WIN A PRIZE. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE CHANCES OF WINNING.
2. Eligibility. The Contest is open to legal residents of Canada who are between 18 and 22 years of age at the time of entry. VOID WHEREVER PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. Employees (and members of their household as well as their immediate family) of the Sponsor or of the Sponsor’s agents, advertising agencies and those service providers involved in the administration of the Contest (including, the Judges and members of their household and their immediate family) are not eligible to participate in the Contest (“Contest Entities”).
3. Confirmation. By participating in this Contest, participants: (a) agree to be bound by these rules and regulations and by the decisions of the Sponsor (including, without limitation, Sponsor’s reliance on decisions made by Judges), which are final in all matters relating to the Contest; (b) agree to provide, upon Sponsor’s request, proof of identification, proof of age and (c) acknowledgment and confirmation of their eligibility to participate in the Contest and their compliance with these rules and regulations.
4. Entry. The Contest begins on May 2, 2016 at 9:00 (Eastern Time) (the “Contest Start Date”). To enter, a participant must complete a multiple-choice quiz online (the “Quiz”), read their customized investment personality profile generated from the answers they provided in the Quiz (each, a “Profile”) and submit an essay and essay summary discussing what they have learned about themselves and about investing in general (each, an “Essay”). The Quiz must be completed and the Essay must be delivered to the Sponsor via the contest entry portal at www.bridgehousescholarship.com (the “Contest Website”) following the Contest Start Date but no later than June 15, 2016 at 17:00 (Eastern Time).
Only one entry per participant will be accepted with respect to participation in the Contest. Participants must provide a personal e-mail address when entering the Contest and may not provide a shared e-mail account. Incomplete or inaccurate entries are void. All entries and entry materials become the property of the Sponsor and will not be returned.
All entries submitted in accordance with these rules and regulations are collectively referred to as the “Eligible Entries.”
5. Judging Criteria. Eligible Entries will be judged on the content of the Essay Summary and Essay, including a participant’s proper understanding of his or her Profile (and other information communicated in the Quiz and on their Profile), his or her ability to communicate the lessons learned through the completion of the Quiz and review of his or her Profile as well as those other items specified on the Contest Website. Participants that fail to include the required elements in their Essay will not be eligible to win a prize. Entries with spelling and grammatical errors will be disqualified. Odds of winning a prize depend on the number of Eligible Entries received.
6. Winner Selection/Notification. A panel of judges consisting of representatives selected by the Sponsor (the “Judges”) will pick ten (10) potential winners (the “Potential Winners”) on July 15, 2016 at 12:00 (Eastern Time) from the Eligible Entries, based on the judging criteria set forth in paragraph 5 above. The selection will take place at the Sponsor’s offices located at 20 Bay Street, Suite 400, Toronto, Ontario, M5J 2N8.
7. Winner Verification. Following selection of the Potential Winners, the Sponsor will make a maximum of two attempts within six days of the date on which the Potential Winner is selected to reach each such Potential Winner at the number and/or email provided with his/her entry. Winners will be required to execute and deliver to the Sponsor a signed affidavit of eligibility and acceptance of these rules and regulations and release of liability in favour of the Contest Entities in the form provided by the Sponsor, within ten business days from the date on which the form is sent by the Sponsor to the Potential Winner. Entry into the Contest constitutes permission to use the winners’ names, province or territory of residence, likeness and/or Prize information (and study program with respect to which the Prize is applied), without limitation, for promotional purposes without further permission or compensation. As a condition of being awarded any Prize, except where prohibited by law, winners may be required to execute a consent to the use of their name, address, likeness and/or Prize information, without limitation, for promotional purposes without further permission or compensation. If a Potential Winner cannot be reached as provided for in these Rules and Regulations, or does not qualify or comply with the requirements of these rules and regulations, an alternate Potential Winner may be selected based on the judging criteria set forth in paragraph 5 from among all remaining Eligible Entries. Winners who are reached and are eligible to participate in the Contest will be confirmed as winners (the “Winners”).
8. Announcement. The Winners will be announced on August 15, 2016 (the “Announcement Date“) on the Contest Website. The Sponsor expressly reserves the right to delay the announcement of the Winners for creative or technical reasons or if for any other reason that the Sponsor deems necessary.
9. Prizes. Each Winner will receive $2,000 to be applied to a full-time post-secondary education program of his or her choice at the post-secondary institution of his or her choice (the “Prize”). No substitution or transfer of the Prizes or any portion of the Prizes is permitted and a Prize cannot be cashed. Upon receipt of a Prize, winners are required to comply with any and all applicable federal, provincial and local laws, rules and regulations. Winners are solely responsible for any and all applicable federal, provincial and local taxes that become due with respect to their respective Prizes.
10. Fulfillment of Prizes. Winners will be required to provide the Sponsor with sufficient proof of their enrollment in a post-secondary program to redeem their Prize, along with evidence of the related tuition amount that is required to be paid by the Winner. If proof of enrollment is provided prior to payment of related tuition fees, the Sponsor will remit the Prize directly to the post-secondary institution in partial payment of the related tuition fees of the Winner. If proof of enrollment is provided after payment of related tuition fees by the Winner and/or his or her parent or legal guardian, the Sponsor will remit the Prize to the person who actually paid the related tuition fees of the Winner. Winners must provide proof of enrollment within two (2) years of the Announcement Date failing which their Prize will be forfeited. The Sponsor is not required to distribute all Prizes or name replacement Winners in the event that a Winner does not claim his or her Prize. Forfeited Prizes will not be awarded to other participants.
11. Indemnification. Participants indemnify and hold harmless the Contest Entities and their respective parent companies, officers, directors, employees, agents, members, affiliated companies and subsidiaries from any claims, suits, legal proceedings, losses, damages and expenses (including reasonable legal fees and disbursements) that arise from any breach by them of these rules and regulations.
12. General Terms. The Contest Entities assume no responsibility for incorrect or inaccurate entry information whether caused by any of the equipment or software associated with or utilized in this Contest or by any human error, which may occur in the processing of the entries in this Contest. The Contest Entities are not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, public or private network, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or players on account of technical problems, misdirected, altered, distorted or deleted entries or traffic congestion on the Internet or on any website, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this Contest. If, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer viruses, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond the reasonable control of the Contest Entities, which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Contest, subject to approval from the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux, the Contest Entities reserve the right in their sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. Should the Contest be terminated prior to the stated expiration date, notice will be posted on the Contest Website and the Prizes may be awarded to Winners to be selected from among all Eligible Entries received up until the time of termination.
All interpretations of these rules and regulations and decisions by the Contest Entities are final. The Contest Entities reserve the right in their sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering or has tampered with the entry process or the operation of this Contest; to be acting in violation of these rules and regulations; or to be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person; or to have provided inaccurate information on any legal documents submitted in connection with this Contest.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY ANY INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND/OR CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSORS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY THE LAW. THE COURTS (PROVINCIAL AND/OR FEDERAL, AS THE CASE MAY BE) IN THE CITY OF TORONTO, ONTARIO, SHALL HAVE EXCLUSIVE JURISDICTION OF ANY CONTROVERSIES REGARDING THE CONTEST AND THE LAWS OF THE PROVINCE OF ONTARIO AND THE LAWS OF CANADA APPLICABLE THEREIN SHALL GOVERN THE CONTEST. EACH ENTRANT WAIVES ANY AND ALL OBJECTIONS TO JURISDICTION AND VENUE IN THESE COURTS AND HEREBY SUBMITS TO THE JURISDICTION OF THOSE COURTS. PARTICIPANTS ACKNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTAND OF THE INSECURE NATURE OF THE INTERNET AND OF INTERNET COMMUNICATIONS AND AGREE THAT THEY ASSUME ALL RISKS WITH RESPECT TO PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST THROUGH USE OF THE INTERNET AND WITH RESPECT TO ANY E-MAIL COMMUNICATION SENT BY THEM OR ADDRESSED TO THEM. CONTEST ENTITIES WILL NOT BE LIABLE WITH RESPECT TO ANY COSTS, EXPENSES, DAMAGES (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DIRECT, INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, GENERAL, SPECIAL OR AGGRAVATED DAMAGES) RELATING TO THE CONTEST OR ANY MATTER ANCILLARY THERETO.
13. For the name of the Winners and/or a copy of these rules and regulations, please send a self-addressed stamped envelope to:
Bridgehouse Asset Managers
20 Bay Street, Suite 400
P.O. Box 62
Please note on the front left-hand corner of your outer envelope whether you are requesting “rules and regulations” or the name of the “Winners.” Self-addressed envelopes with insufficient postage shall not be returned and shall be destroyed without notice.
All requests for Winner information must be received by June 30, 2016.
14. For residents of Quebec, any dispute concerning the conduct or administration of a publicity contest may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux du Québec for a ruling. Any dispute concerning the awarding of a prize may be submitted to the Régie only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement.
Bridgehouse Asset Managers® is a trademark registered in Canada and owned by Brandes Investment Partners & Co. Brandes Investment Partners® is a trademark registered in Canada and the United States and owned by Brandes Investment Partners, L.P.. The trademark Brandes Investment Partners® is used under license by Brandes Investment Partners & Co.